The Institute of Photonic Device and Information Integration has engaged scientific research in semiconductor materials, devices and integrated circuits for a long time, and undertaken a number of national and provincial projects, and got a number of advanced research fruits. Among them, three achievements have been honored with the second and third award of provincial and ministerial level scientific and technological progress.
As one of the earliest research institutes in solar cells, the institute is being one of the domestic leading groups in the researches of amorphous silicon thin film cells, flexible thin-film cells, microcrystalline silicon thin film cells, a-Si/uc Si heterojunction cells, polycrystalline cells, monocrystalline silicon cells, HIT heterojunction cells, PV system designs of and applications etc. We have developed a three-junction tandem solar cell with structure of a-Si/a-Si/a-SiGe, whose conversion efficiency reached 11.5% which ranked third level in the world at that time, and awarded with Technology Progress prize by National Commission of Science.
The research areas of Institute of Photonic Device and Information Integration are：
(1) photoelectric functional thin film material and system integration, comprising amorphous silicon thin film and microcrystalline silicon thin film materials, a variety of new thin-film transistor (TFT) and circuit, a transparent oxide conductive film and device;
(2) the design principle and fabrication techniques of full-spectrum solar cells with high efficiency and low cost, including amorphous silicon-based thin film solar cells, microcrystalline silicon thin film solar cells, polycrystalline silicon thin-film solar cells, silicon thin film tandem solar cells, high-cost silicon heterojunction solar cells, flexible solar cells, integrated solar cells, ferroelectric thin film solar cells, quantum dot solar cells and other new kinds of solar cells；
(3) fabrication technology and circuit design of the organic light emitting display;
(4) novel displays and related technologies;
(5) quantum dots preparation, characterization and applications.